Monday, June 25, 2007

Taking Care of Your Car's CV Joint

Several weekends ago, I decided it was time for me to change my left hand side car's Constant Velocity (CV) joint. It's been a while since I've noticed the clicking sound whenever I make a U-turn but I just ignored that. It costed me a few hundreds RM in repair for my car's right hand CV joint last year because I've been telling myself that "it's still okay for now and everything would be alright". The cause of CV joint damages is most of the time because of the worn out or tear of the rubber that contains the grease. Visually inspecting my undercar components, it's been several months already that the boot of the CV joint is torn. If I were just to replace the boot alone, it would have just cost me less than RM50 but only if the CV joint doesn't make any funny sound. As for my CV joint, the sound is too obvious. Procrastinate just makes thing even worse but it is one tough habit that is not easy to get rid off.

Being a bootstrapper, I hunted for several shops to get the best deal for my repair. I was tempted to do it on my own but of course I was short on tools plus my car mechanic skillset has been rusted for so many years. The only thing I have is the knowledge on how to minimize costs and repairs. So, in order to prolong your car's CV joint this what I am going to share:

  1. Avoid making very sharp U-turn so often; this is because you'll make your CV joint rubber boot to stretch in and out excessively and will make it torn off quickly.

  2. Try and avoid small and tight parking spaces where you need to turn your wheel from end to end.

  3. Check your undercar at least once a month and take into consideration every smudge of grease on your wheel.


Here's a snapshot of how my mechanic removed my car's broken CV joint. If I'm not mistaken, this is my fourth CV joint that I've replaced eversince I've been driving my own car.

Ashrufzz Car being repaired by a mechanic


The cost of the repair was RM130 for a brand new CV joint. It's not an original part but hey, original parts doesn't mean that it is really original. A car manufacturer have thousands of vendors working for them, they just kind of assemble them together and for aftermarket products, they just make the packaging use their own brand. As long as it works, I don't see the trouble of using some other brand but of course don't get a cheap imitation product or you'll just endangering yourself.

I haven't made my wheel alignment yet after replacing the new CV joint. I guess I'll wait for my tyres to worn out and then proceed with a tyre alignment. Oh no...more procrastination..

By the way, check out this girl mechanic who got trouble removing her car's CV joint. I stumbled upon this trouble with my former car and my mechanic had to cut his way through using a grinder. It's not an easy job but somebody has to do it.