Saturday, June 02, 2007

RM50 Workshop: The Art of Software Development

Because of my previously active participation in doing networking around seminars and events, my e-mail fell into the mailing list of iTrain. I must say that iTrain provides a good number of IT training, not that I am promoting their courses but I see that their prices are considered reasonable and I do wish to enroll for one of their classes one day. On the 23rd of April, I got an email offering The Art of Software Development Workshop.

It's only RM50 so it didn't take me long to sign up on their online web form. 4 days later, my seat was confirmed. I recently updated my about page so you'll probably know that I have no formal education about programming or software development. Still, web programming is still part of software development, right?

After a month of waiting, last Saturday I went to Stamford College PJ located just nearby my former office where I used to work. BTW, I paid the RM50 fees from my own pocket just to attend this workshop. I'm thinking of making a claim from my company but I forgot to ask for the receipt. Oh well, I think the knowledge of The Art of Software Development is far more valuable than RM50. So, who was the instructor for the workshop, head over here and read all the details about the program. Basically it's a 6 days training program but this RM50 is just some sort of preview to get the feel and some general idea of The Art of Software Development.

Dr. Chai, the instructor is kind enough to share with me and the rest of the attendees his knowledge and experiences. There were only 10 people who turn up. It was kind of scary if the other people know what my background is yet I've seen stranger career change that other people has done. Most of what Dr. Chai was telling during the workshop was alien to me but then, I was not alone. I guess only 2 person know or at least heard of Unified Modeling Language (UML).

Brochure and Notes


I would have never known that software development is a very serious thing if I haven't attend this workshop. Mission critical software such as the heart pacemaker or software that is used on Air Traffic Controller, one tiny code error could make a different between life and death. Dr Chai also talked about documentation control, how to design those geeky documents and why it is important to have hundreds of pages requirement when making proposals to clients. Awesome stuff!

We then learned about some tools used for designing those programming codes rather than blindly leaving it to the programmers. One of the software is called StarUML. I recently installed it on my computer but I have no clue how to use it. I guess Microsoft Visio is a lot easier to use but Visio lacks the functionality that UML has. Anyway, here's an ugly diagram taken from a sample from the StarUML example:

StarUML diagram example


If you are wondering why the diagram is so ugly, there is no need for the diagram to be beautiful. For programmers or developers, it's just a waste of time. Unless if the diagram needs to impress the clients, then it is worth to have a nice one. Another software that was introduced to us was WinCVS. It's basically a version control software that tracks changes done for all the files for your software project. I haven't really test that software yet but it sure is something that is quite important even for a web developer like myself.

We were supposed to design a bluetooth system using the tools that were given to us but after a couple hours discovering something out from my world, my head experienced a condition called 'information overload'. After the workshop finished, there is one thing that I've learned, if you really want to excel in becoming a developer, have the word architect at the back of whatever position you are holding for example, my role would be a Web Development Architect. Being an architect is the highest peak achievement one would ever achieve. Hhmm...sounds really ambitious of me..haha..

By the way, I met a Securities Commissions IT Manager during the workshop. She's looking for a .NET programmer for a few positions available in her department I guess. If any of my readers happen to know someone or you yourself might be interested, send me a shout and I'll refer you to her. After jumping into this IT career, I realized that there are so many job opportunities in the IT industry yet so few people can really fulfill the vacant position. Now I wish I had a Degree in IT.. :-(

If you need more information about The Art of Software Development Training Program: Click Here.

For more information about the RM50.NET workshop: Click Here.

Interested links I found:

6 comments:

Mark said...

Indeed you could have claimed for it, if you had saved the receipt - no worries there...

Receipts rule when it comes to claims.

If they had been teaching something practical such as Wordpress PHP Hacking or AJAX-ification, we could have sent you there for the full week, so please keep this in mind when future promotions come your way...

Maybe one day soon, you'll be the OpenSource Architect and Yoda will be learning from you...

ZeMMs said...

Hehe.. but it also works the other way around. :P Next time invite me too for these kinds of trainings.. especially when it costs only 50 bucks... ;)

Ashrufzz said...

ZeMMs: I'll certainly shoot you an e-mail if I found one.. ;-)

Mark: There is a 3 days AJAX for ASP.NET course which they are offering for RM1,200. Not sure if we will or heading toward ASP.NET?

Ady said...

Is Yoda mentioned here a real person's nickname or is indeed Yoda from Star Wars? ;-)

He would say: learn from you, Yoda will.

Mike said...

Hey there,

Nice to find a link to our Art of Software Development workshop on another site. I'm glad you enjoyed the workshop and found great benefit in it.

We're planning much more RM50.net workshops throughout the year. Most of it will be based on development on the microsoft platform such as developing using the new .net FX 3.0, building gadgets for vista, and maybe one on dotnetnuke. if i have time i'll even try and squeeze in a lil workshop on Ruby.

keep an eye on www.rm50.net or www.itrain.com.my for updates on our workshops.

Mike said...

oh yea... i do have your receipt. Email me your billing address and we'll post it to you for your claim.