Thursday, May 24, 2007

Trying Out Ubuntu

I can't remember where I stumbled upon ubuntu but I wasn't really aware about their existence. Because of the bottleneck of broadband internet connection, I was put off from the idea of downloading Ubuntu which is based on Linux OS. So, on the 5th of May 2007, I requested a Ubuntu 7.04 (Fiesty Fawn) CD. At first I couldn't believe that they are ship out those CD for free. However, I proceed to filled the form anyway.

Yesterday afternoon or 18 days later, I found this package inside my mailbox:

ubuntu shipped to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia


Inside the package is this:

ubuntu CD and stickers


It's a CD package along with a few stickers of ubuntu. I am always excited to get something new so I tried my new OS immediately:

ubuntu on ashrufzz PC


I don't want to install ubuntu yet on my PC, so I'm using the Live CD feature to try it out. So far, I've spent a couple of hours exploring this fantastic operating system. It detects all my computer hardware including my Wireless USB stick. I tried surfing the internet using my 4 days year old Maxis Wireless Broadband connection and it worked better than Windows. I'm still editing my review about my Maxis Wireless Broadband I just got last Sunday beside doing a couple of more testing. I'll post my outcome shortly.

Here's a screenshot of my ubuntu desktop:

ubuntu-screenshot.jpg


I just love the desktop GUI and there is so much features and softwares bundled together that I become ecstatic about this OS. I'll try and write something about my discovery in my next posts. Here comes the hard part, I'm still trying to figure out whether I should install dual boot-up (ubuntu and Win XP) or just use Virtual PC 2007 to install ubuntu under Windows environment. I'm a Windows user since the DOS era which later on followed by Windows version 3.1, Windows 95/98/NT/XP so it's kind of hard to get used to something that we are not accustomed to. Oh well, I need to back-up all my files first before deciding anything.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Just do it - go for the dual boot - and good luck!

Look forward to hearing more and am amazed that you actually got it through... That SHOULD mean I might be getting mine soon too...

Mark said...

Found this link today my absolute chance, which is quite lucky since both ourselves and Syed wrote about this today:
300 Easy to Install fonts for Ubuntu

ZeMMs said...

I also have the CDs last time on it's first release to the public through mail. The packaging and the stickers still looks very much the same. But I guess my Ubuntu is a bit more outdated coz i ordered it like mid of last year. Anyway have you tried the ubutu's 3D desktop? my boss showed me some cool effect where the document window can jiggle according to how fast you drag it across the screen. pretty neat :)

Ashrufzz said...

Ubuntu 3D? Sounds awesome..Maybe when I got myself a brand new dual-core PC/Laptop with a good graphic card, then I'll try that. For now, my pathetic Pentium 4 PC is just too slow even for surfing.. :-(

NI-LIMITS said...

LifeHacker has a nice piece on the best Ubuntu software available at the moment:

Click here to see the list...

Ashrufzz Reality Adventure » Blog Archive » Trying Out Safari Browser said...

[...] browser download package since I just installed a fresh Windows XP SP2 on my computer. I tried and install Ubuntu as a dual boot on my computer but something went wrong so I decided to scrap that idea and just [...]

Munmon said...

Ubuntu is a bliss. I have made me switch to Linux. Forget about Windows and enter Ubuntu. Since then, Windows is no more in me PC.

Ashrufzz Reality Adventure » Blog Archive » Why A MacBook Is Not For Me said...

[...] the Mac was like the last time I tried using Ubuntu. Although it seems exciting and more fun to use Mac compared to Windows, I don’t think [...]