Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Long Day At Court

Yesterday was a boring but at the same time interesting day for me. It was my first time going to court. From where I live, it took me less than 15 minutes to get there. Unfortunately, there were no parking spaces because of some official launching ceremony by a minister so they closed down all the parking lots outside the building. I parked my car at the Federal Territory Mosque just opposite the Jalan Duta Court House and took a 5 minutes walk.

Last year, I went to a meeting with my former company at Ministry of Arts, Culture and Heritage Malaysia and I was told that they are going to occupy the Bangunan Abdul Samad building and the court department will move to their own building at Jalan Duta. I guess they've already moved by now. When I arrived at the new court house, the building is huge. I have no idea where to go to so I asked the reception counter and my court room is on the 3rd floor. After I got on the 3rd floor, I walked down the room was almost near the end of the corridor. After I submit my subpoena letter I got, I had to wait for the court session to start. Half an hour later, the police officer in charge of the room told us (there were like 6-8 people waiting like me) that they might start a little late because of the launching ceremony of the new building or so.

We waited, waited and waited and the judge still didn't show up. It was nearly 1pm so I got out of there and had my lunch. After lunch, I got back at the court room before 2pm and again waited. Then the officers were telling about they tried and contacted the judge but she's not reachable. It was not until 3.00pm the court room was being handled over to another judge on call.

The judge appeared and all the suspects (I think there's 14 altogether) were ushered to the suspect area. They were all look like drug junkies and most of them pleaded guilty to the court. Some of them got away when their urine test came out clean, the lowest bail after being considered was RM1500, most of the bail were RM4000 - RM5000 but no one paid for that amount. They would normally requested for the court to lower the bail. For those convicted, they'll have another date for them being brought back to court.

In my case, the guy pleaded guilty and his lawyer gave him a bad look and shook his head for him not to plead guilty. I heard my car's plate number being read out loud, I wrote about what happened to my police report earlier so I was there just in case something happened to the statement that was read. The guy's mother sit just behind me and for a while, I felt enlightened seeing all those people caught by the justice system. Eventually, the court adjourned at 4pm and I left the building as quickly as I could. It's a complete waste of my time coming to court. I've wasted half a day of my leave day waiting for the judge, it's ridiculous.

Anyway, the experience has taught me of not to do things that might lead to get caught by the police of the justice system. It is a cumbersome to deal with it so the lesson of the day is, don't get caught! ;-)

No comments: