Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Auditing Your Own PC

After reading my former blog which was hosted on Xfresh.com way back in 2004, I realized something significant, I am still using my freaking old obsolete computer!

Nevertheless, this old computer that I'm using can still handle a lot of my web projects and serve me alright. Here's a picture of my freaking old computer:




This picture was taken back in 2004 which was almost 3 years ago and it is still the computer that I'm still using until today. If you are wondering where's the cover, most of the time I like to keep the air flow flowing because the casing cover is made of metal so it consolidate the heat inside eventhough metal is a heat conducter. The processor is a 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron. If you have never used an Intel Celeron processor before, this kind of CPU will get really hot in a short period of time especially when you are the kind of person who tend to abuse your PC's resources. How do you know if you are abusing your own PC or not? Take a look at this screenshot:



Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and the Windows Task Manager will pop up. This is where you can see what program you have opened, how much resources is still available and the whole inside engine of Windows Operating System. You will know that you are abusing your PC when the CPU usage graph is stuck at 100%. If you have a poor PC cooling system, your computer will automatically shut down without warning. This is one of the reason it is advisable to place your computer in an air-conditioned room. Apparently, I don't really like being in an air-conditioned room for too long so my room normally doesn't have the air-conditioned switched on. Fortunately, my PC stays alive until today.

So, how can we learned and get to know your own PC the easy way? Get Belarc Advisor and Audit your own PC. You can also recover your original Windows XP Installation key using this software. Just don't publish what you have on the internet like what recently happened. You can read more about Belarc Advisor here. Anyway, here's what I find out about my computer:



I kind of symphatize myself for still using a computer with such an obsolete specification. I don't have enough resources yet to buy a new PC. My Intel Celeron CPU is really slowing my job efficiency especially during multitasking. I'm heading to a used computer shop nearby my house to see if I could find a cheap used Pentium 4 CPU so that I could have more CPU power for my web projects.

1 comment:

MQ said...

Last time I upgraded my PC was when my Sims hang while peeing in the toilet..haha! I have to spend quite a lot just to try the Sims 2 but after a week I got fed up with the game.

Luckily I can utilize the new upgraded PC for photo editing job and some online projects otherwise I would have banged my head to the wall for spending money for nothing.

If you need faster PC for work, then go ahead and invest on it. Just my 2 cents!