Friday, May 18, 2007

My Web Host: The Fastest Web Host?

Yesterday, I received this newsletter e-mail from my web host:

bytehost-newsletter.jpg


I was kind of skeptical at first because how do you measure the fastest web hosting server and what does that suppose to mean? Reading my newsletter carefully and made further reading about Free PHP Hosting Services Comparison Benchmark, I now know that the comparison benchmark result was made using a PHP script and it is measure based on the PHP execution (Whatever that means). I don't really know much about PHP language yet but I do know that they are resource intensive on the web servers with high traffic loads and will really strain your web server (if your website/blog post got dugged) causing it to experience downtime and other not so good stuff.

I never really much care about these performance stuff to be honest. The reason I became a paying customer for Bytehost was because of the package that they sell includes a free domain name with huge amount of web spaces and it was the cheapest I can find. Furthermore, I had some PayPal money that I need to spend that time because cashing it out was not a good option for me.

Digging information about my web host a little further, my web host has an address located in Newcastle, England. This reminds me when I was little, my father sent me to Richard Avenue Primary School in Sunderland, England and I think we once went to Newscastle for some sightseeing since it is not that far north from Sunderland, I guess. At that time, my father was pursuing his degree at Sunderland Polytechnic (now it's University of Sunderland). By the way, just look add the feature my web host gives; I can host adult content. Well, I don't really want to go into that path. I heard that the money is good in that industry but it wouldn't be a decent way of earning an income.

So, is my web host the fastest free web hosting server? I don't know, so far it did a good job for all my websites and this blog. My only challenge right now is I'm currently utilizing less than 5% of what I've paid for, so I'm still under utilizing my web hosting plan capabilities. Well, got to work hard on that to see if what they claim is true.

Related links:

4 comments:

Mark said...

I think you'll find that the comparison list that they showed you only showed themselves and any other hosting company that they could find that happened to be performing worse than they did...

I do not see any of the big names in that list and its interesting to see such an obscure list and then claim to be the best on it...

It's almost like saying that if you buy "THIS" powered milk and eat koko-crunch, you baby will grow-up to be a very clever boy...

Forgive me, but I always assumed it was education that did that - not milk and cereals...

Ashrufzz said...

Good point there Mark. I guess the big boys will just probably laugh when they saw these things..hehe..

Nurul said...

waaa..how long did you stay in england.must be fun.i lived in scotland for awhile.missed the wheather...hee..

Ady said...

Yeah Mark has a good point. I know of several offshore hosting companies if you are really interested in adult hosting! But that information does not come free. Hehehe...

Having worked at a gray-classified (financial) company for 2 years, I stumbled upon many kinds of interesting hosting places ;-)