Monday, May 21, 2007

Cruising The SMART Tunnel

Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive through the half a billion Ringgit Malaysia "SMART Tunnel" while returning home after driving my father to Bandar Tasik Selatan. For those of you who haven't used this tunnel yet, better do so before they charge RM4 for this 4km tunnel next month.

I didn't bring along my digital camera so I couldn't take any pictures while driving inside the tunnel. Anyway, I'll just conclude what I've experience. The Smart Tunnel

  • The sign before the toll gate ask to flash your Touch n Go card but it's kind of useless as people just drive by there (while still free of course)

  • The road inside the tunnel is bumpy

  • Selected radio station are available inside the tunnel

  • My Maxis phone line is available too

  • If you are claustrophobic, better stay away from this tunnel.

  • The air inside the tunnel is hot and full of carbon monoxide. Better repair your car's air conditioner if you haven't do so or you'll get suffocated the entire journey.

  • It bothered me that I had no idea where I was at while inside the tunnel plus you need to drive really carefully.

  • Better make sure your car doesn't break down or overheat while inside the tunnel. There isn't enough space for an emergency lane and you'll get cursed for causing traffic jam inside the tunnel.


Bottomline, I would only use the SMART Tunnel if only I'm in a rush or in case of an emergency. I don't really like driving inside a tunnel. By the way, speaking about tunnel, I watched a movie called Terowongan Casablanca last month and it was the most ridiculous ghost story I've ever seen (I'm not a fan of ghost movies so I don't watch much of it). I don't think ghost would be interested on the SMART Tunnel though..haha..

Related interesting links:

3 comments:

Ady said...

That bad, huh? Where is the exit of the tunnel? Pardon my silly question - I am very bad with KL roads even though my car registration number starts with W ;-)

azurt said...

ehehhe.. klakar2.... tak lalu lagi SMART tunnel tu. Nnt nak try la one day.

Hari tu, nampak gak SMART tunnel punye end, tapi tak sure sgt.. ada satu exit je ke dari SMART tunnel ni?

Ashrufzz said...

I don't know about the other side of the road, but there are 2 entry lanes into the tunnel where you'll be paying the toll if you come from Serdang. The exit would be at Jalan Davis near the Bangunan Time Berhad and another one towards Bukit Bintang.

Basically, when you are inside the tunnel, you take the left lane to go to Bukit Bintang and the right lane to go to Jln Tun Razak. I don't plan on trying to drive inside that tunnel again as it makes me uncomfortable ;-p

Azurt: Cepat sikit nak try tu, kang dia cas karang kempunan pulak..akakaka..