Friday, December 10, 2010

The Best Daily Mobile Internet Prepaid Option in Malaysia

We all have different need of internet usage. I normally use an average of 400 - 500MB (upload and download data transfer) usage per day. Total that up for one month, that would take up almost 15GB per month of data usage. However I find it hard to reach 15GB per month except if I am on a downloading quest for movies and videos stuff. The best internet option for me will always be TM Net Streamyx. However when I go travel for example like right now I am in Tambun Ipoh, I would bring along my Huawei E220 USB modem which is powered by DiGi Internet Prepaid. Lucky for me, my in law's house is within the area of 3G Internet Broadband services for all the Telcos available.

A couple of months ago, I have no issue with DiGi Internet Prepaid as it serves my purpose quite well. Although the top download speed is capped at 384kbps, watching YouTube videos has not been a problem. The download quota of 3GB per month never been exceeded as I only use the pre-paid internet line for 3 - 4 days sometimes 10 days per month. At RM2 per day, it was the perfect internet replacement for me while on the go.

After haven't been travelling for a while, I realized something new happened. I got this SMS in my Mobile Connect application:
You have reached the 100 MB daily quota. However you will continue to enjoy unlimited Internet usage at 128kbps until the next quota reset at 12am

I was shocked. Immediately the internet speed dropped and my download was downgraded. This is not a good sign. I did some Googling just now using the now throttled internet speed of 128kbps:

DiGi Internet Prepaid



Oh dear, I need to find a solution for this. I did some checking around:

Maxis Hotlink Internet Prepaid



Celcom Broadband Prepaid



I am a Maxis postpaid user on my Sony Xperia X10 Mini. However Maxis has the most expensive plan with RM8/day and only 500MB per day. I also have a DiGi Prepaid sim-card which I hardly use, at RM5/day and only 100MB per day, this is even pricier than my DiGi Internet Prepaid at RM2/day. The best option for me right now is to go for Celcom Broadband Prepaid at RM6/day with 1GB per day.

I should make a comparison table for this but I am too lazy to do it right now. Now, I need to find myself a Celcom Broadband Prepaid™ Pack somewhere here in Ipoh.


Update 1st February 2011: I subscribed to Celcom Broadband Prepaid on Celcom Blue for RM18 weekly (Sim Card cost me only RM3 during a promotion). The line only managed EDGE connection with unstable internet connection even on the 18th Floor of Menara PJD, Kuala Lumpur. The same goes when I was in Tambun Ipoh. So, it was a no go for Celcom Broadband Prepaid for me.

Update 12th February 2011: I bought Celcom Broadband Prepaid pack just now at a Celcom partner's booth (Only RM12.50) at Giant Ipoh (Tried to buy one at Celcom Blue Sunway Pyramid but they said they ran out of stock). I realized that the Celcom Blue sim-card doesn't have 3G capabilities which is why I couldn't get a good speed the last time I tried. I am now on HSDPA line powered by Celcom Broadband Prepaid.

1 comment:

Jason said...

So far which Telco have the best mobile internet line in term of speed and stability ?