Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My BarCamp KL Malaysia 2008 Experience

About almost a month ago, I blogged about BarCamp Malaysia and how I got to know about it. Last Saturday was the day that BarCamp Malaysia actually commenced. It was quite impressive the number of sponsors that BarCamp Malaysia had acquired.

There were so many sessions which got me torn apart to choose upon which one I should go to. I then finally decided to go to any sessions that I managed to squeeze myself in. I brought along my laptop but hardly even use it after I found out that the Wi-Fi is unusable. My big fat Maxis Wireless Broadband modem which I happened to bring along is just too big to setup. Maybe it is time for me to get myself a Pocket PC or a BlackBerry. Then again, that would mean I need to put aside some money just for that purpose alone.


BarcampMalaysia KL Morning Registration at Xtrain
BarcampMalaysia KL Morning Registration at Xtrain


The Widgeo.us Session



Widgeo.us Introduction
Widgeo.us Introduction


I would have gone to the Google Android session but the room was packed full. I then went to Widgeo.us session instead. Honestly, I have no idea what Widgeo.us can or able to do. I do know that it has something to do with widgets based on their name. I’ll give it a try when I have some spare time.


RIA Development via Flex + JROR



RIA Development via Flex + JRoR
RIA Development via Flex + JRoR


This session was really meant for programmers. In my day to day job, I don’t look at anymore of those web programming languages unless if it is really necessary for me to do so. Nowadays, there are plenty of technical programming tools available and these tools save time and resources instead of looking at programming codes line by line. Nevertheless, learning those codes will eventually help especially if you stumble upon problems and needed to find solutions. Anyway, I walked out from this session because there was no need for me to learn this topic, at least for now.


Monetizing Youtube



Monetizing Youtube Session
Monetizing Youtube Session


Now this was a really interesting session. The topic alone drew a full house of people into the small room. At first I thought this session might be some way or techniques to make money off from Youtube. I was wrong instead it was a new concept of pattern recognizing technology that instantly indentifies a pattern and turns it into an advertising medium in a form of 3D object or logo. It’s a brilliant idea Presented by the enthusiastic Roni Mustafa from Urekalabs but I think if this were to be introduced here in Malaysia, a lot of promotion, a lot of dedication and presentation is needed to attract advertisers.


A few people from the crowd at the time were bashing the idea by making comparison of similar technology used in the US but in the end, a lot of supports were shown by the audience to help this brilliant minded group to go further with their work.


Lunch Time



BarCamp Malaysia Lunch Time
BarCamp Malaysia Lunch Time


The food was awesome.


BarCamp Malaysia 2008 Launching Ceremony



Khai Lee gave an enthusiastic opening speech at the opening of BarCamp right after lunchtime. I certainly was entertained by his Emcee skills. Check it out at the video taken by my camera phone below:




The video is also available on Youtube using the link below:




Bridging People with Ideas Session



Bridging People with Ideas Session
Bridging People with Ideas Session


Presented by Kelvin, during the first 15 minutes make sense where he talked about bringing in non-tech and non-IT people into the scene and organizing events and talk. After that, the idea got contradicted by mashing up other ideas and bringing in other people to diversify the entire theme and events.


Personally, I don’t think it make sense when something too in-depth is then being generalized in order to keep it balance. It should be either specialized or generalized. I know that once in a while, variety can make it more fun for participant or what people nowadays call it ‘fusion’. Then again, I just got confused and if I were a buyer, I would totally reject what is being sold.


A Whole New Perspective by Ameer
A Whole New Perspective by Ameer


Then came along Ameer from Sudan who happened to crash into BarCamp and talked about his upcoming book which I’ve forgotten the title. I do know that is has something to do with Islam and some kind of revolution or was it evolution. It was an interesting topic but to me, I don’t take this seriously because I’m not that radical enough to be talking about all the subjects and topics that Ameer has brought up.


Jumping The Shark



Jumping the Shark Session
Jumping the Shark Session


I nearly fell asleep in this session. I’m not actually a brainstormer so to pick out ideas out of my brain after a good lunch is rather useless. Nevertheless, the good point from this session is that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel and be careful of the big guns because they have all the resources to make or break you.


Entrepreneurs Going Global



Entrepreneur Going Global Session
Entrepreneur Going Global Session


This session was moderated by my buddy Cerventus. Three panel experts were invited namely, Vishen Lakhiani from Mindvalley, Ganesh Kumar from MOL.com, Roslan from MDEC and Siva an entrepreneur mentor. Now this session was a really good one since it was full of experience sharing, business information and the best is free advice for wannabe entrepreneurs. I love the idea of becoming an online entrepreneur and I am planning to become one myself. I think the best advice is to always build your own client database because that where the money will always be.


Blogging in Malaysia



Blogging in Malaysia Session
Blogging in Malaysia Session


I sat behind HongKiat in this session. Other celebrity bloggers were also in the session as well such as Gobala Krishnan, LiewCF and Syokkahwin author Fayz. I remain silent the entire session because I don’t find the session to be useful to me. To me, blogging is just a tool for the use of delivering and sharing information. Maybe I should have shared “how I use blogs to make 2 of my company’s website to get listed on the search engine for specified keywords” or “how I landed a job using blogs”. Oh well, at least I learned a thing or two in this session.


Summary



If I were to describe this first BarCamp Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur in one word, I would have to say “Fusion”. It was a pity I couldn’t come to the second day of BarCamp Malaysia because of a scheduled commitment. Visit BarCamp Malaysia Official website to read more of this awesome event.

1 comment:

Friedbeef said...

Nice coverage - come for the next barcamp :) hear it's going to be in penang or jb...