Friday, September 28, 2007

Tender Document: A Business Opportunity

There are many types of businesses in Malaysia. For businesses that do not rely on day to day sales, there are other options such as to embark on a project basis type or making a deal on binding a contract. However, the most popular type of business opportunity for medium and big corporation is the tender document type. This is because there is big money to be made that can sustained their business for a period of time.

I've been introduced to tender document advertisement on the newspaper when I first started working on my third job in downtown KL. At that time, I know nothing about the business that the company is in. 3 weeks on the job, I went to a tender briefing at RTM Angkasapuri with my boss that time. RTM wanted to install a Digital Video Broadcasting system and quite a number of companies showed up to assess the opportunity. I've documented the trip on a website I've created here.

That was my first tender briefing I've attended. The tender document if I'm not mistaken cost RM150. That is cheaper than Multinational, Government Link Companies or Public Listed Companies tender document that can easily sell at RM1000++. During my employment there, I've assessed a couple of other tender documents. There are times that I started to become sick of it but then again, I think it's even better than having to do those tedious computers programming language.

Recently, 3 days after joining my new company, my manager brought me over to KLIA to attend a tender document briefing. The tender briefing was about an initial study for asset tagging management system. It was quite interesting since it is an open tender, there was about 50-60 company representatives who had came to find out what the tender briefing is all about. By the way, if you want find tender documents advertisements and information fast and easy, head over to Tender Direct. For a small fee of RM30 per month, they'll deliver tender notices by fax, phone and e-mail. I've tried it 3 years back while it was still launched and find it very useful if you are a tender document hunter.

Anyway, here's some snapshots of the tender briefing I attended at Malaysia Airlines Berhad building in KLIA.

MA Technologies Sdn Bhd Front Desk
MA Technologies Front Desk
Malaysia Airport Group Tender Briefing
During the tender briefing


The tender document have been submitted 2 weeks back. I recently called them up and asked about the their progress. So far, they haven't reviewed any of the tender documents submitted. I guess, we have to wait for a month for them to get back. Well, I'll just move on to something else I guess.

7 comments:

azurt said...

ehhehe... good news, we are about to open one tender for hotspot though, but i dont know when it going to be.. *sigh..

But, yes, it does take one month or more to evluate tender. you think that easy? if it is an OPEN TENDER, it'll be more complicated.but if it is CLOSE TENDER, it'll ease us (the tender evaluater)

Ashrufzz Reality Adventure » Blog Archive » How I Convinced My Company To Use Joomla CMS said...

[...] her to create 3 customized template for the presentation. At that time, I was also swamped with the tender document submission I went to during my first week there. It was a hectic [...]

nurul arbee said...

Would really interested to know on how is the tender document price being determine?

Is there any standard or guidline stipulated in the Act or such to ensure that the tender document being sold out to tenderer can actually cover back all the cost incurred? (i.e: such cost: printing, advertising, administration cost etc).

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Nurul Arbee

Ashrufzz said...

Tender document prices are really depends on who is producing the tender documents. Normally for big corporation the price of the document would be higher.

Normally, the provider doesn't really care about the ROI of the tender document since there is a budget for that. What they normally want is a good vendor that can do a high quality job at a reasonable price.

As for the tender document buyers, normally this would be absorbed as an investment.

Just my thought about your question. It might not be true but this is what I've learned from my experience.

zainee said...

hi...im zainee,i just want to have your opinion. i just started my own company with my other partners.my company is a trading company also we do a printing and survenier business ..i want to know what can i do to get or involve a tender such as in goverment and others company?

nurul arbee said...

Hi there,

I'm working at Pos Malaysia Berhad.
Having said that, each and every month there might be different type of tender such as renovation for the post office buidling, supply of stationery, corporate gifts, and many more.

Normally it will be advertised at several local newspapers such as Berita Harian, NST and many more.

From there you will be able to see those government as well as other GLCs companies offering such tender to outsiders to bit.

Thank you

NURUL ARBEE

Ashrufzz said...

Zainee,

I have one website which you might find it useful for your new business.

http://www.tenderdirect.com.my/

Best of luck!