Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Day Trip to Singapore

I’ve been kept busy the past several weeks and it just keeps on getting busier. Thanks to the company, I finally make use of my brand new international passport. Last week, my boss and a few other senior colleagues of mine drove to Singapore to meet with our counterpart in the same industry over there. The journey from KL to Singapore took us almost 6 hours including a few pit-stops along the way. We then used The Second Link Highway to cross the border and made it through the immigration check point. But before that, we had to fill up a Disembarkation/Embarkation Form for Visitors. The form is available free of charge at the R&R just before the Malaysian immigration check point.


Disembarkation/Embarkation Form for Visitors to Singapore
 

After everything clears up, we were on the highway of Singapore. Before arriving at the area where National University of Singapore is located, I was greeted by a chain of SMSes which I soon realized that my Maxis prepaid has an automatic international roaming capability. That’s good and also bad. The good is I’m still connected even if I’m not in Malaysia. The bad is for every call or SMS made and also received, the charge is 10 times greater. Luckily I only got one important phone call.


My prepaid phone roaming in Singapore
 

The most significant thing about Singapore that I notice straight away after arriving there is how clean the highways and streets are. I am so used to potholes and dirt on side road of Malaysian roads, I can really see the differences from where I am from. The traffic obeys the speed limit thanks to the strict law enforcement over there and significantly, the cars over there look a whole lot better unlike my almost 10 year old Proton Iswara.


Parking Lots in front of Estate Office Drive
 

After my boss parked the car inside NUS, we went to lunch somewhere in Clementi by taking a cab. The cab accepts credit card, now that’s something new to me. The price of the food is not much different if no currency conversion is involved.


"Makan" place in Singapore
 

We took another cab and went back to NUS to prepare for our scheduled meeting. The meeting was held at The Office of Estate and Development and it was a good one. We’ve learned a few valuable lessons and it’s a good start to a healthy relationship.


The Office of Estate and Development
 

After the meeting, we went over to Singapore Polytechnic which was about 5 minutes drive from NUS.


Singapore Polytechnic
 

Another meeting was held but it got short because the Singapore Polytechnic team had to rush for another meeting.

I've put up photos I've taken during the entire trip. You can check it out on the slideshow below:

1 comment:

ZeMMs said...

I also went to Singapore for a 3-days-2-nights trip few weeks ago (but i didnt blog about it). Yes I also noticed how clean and proper Singapore is. I felt a bit embarrassed after I came back from Singapore and rest for a while at Danga Bay, Johor, which is a disaster if compared to Vivo City in Singapore... *sigh*