Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Going Through Job Interviews

This is a follow up of Alternative Job Hunting post. My first job interview was when I tried to find a moonlight job when I was still studying. It was a sale job selling some special bed sheet that would get rid of some microscopic bacteria. At that time, I got some financial issue and needed some money to pay off something. I never did the job because went I was getting back from the interview, I crashed my dad's Volvo 204GL car into a Perodua Kembara. The front hood of the car was badly damage. There goes my job motivation.

After that incident, I never attempted to find a moonlighting job ever. I did my industrial training in a small turbo servicing workshop but never intend to have any jobs. I don't know why I had no interest to earn money eventhough I had the chance to do so. It was not until before I graduated that I was introduced to a network marketing program. That is when I was introduced to the Rich Dad Poor Dad book that change my perspective entirely. However, after a few years of soul searching and wandering about what I wanted to do with my life, I found that I should really get a job and when the time comes which I have no idea when, I'll do something else. This maybe sound like I have no direction in life...maybe I am. It's a question that I have no answers yet. I should really get a mentor I think.

So right after work today, after exchanging a few e-mails and some phone calls. I went through an interview with this two native Englishmen. I was really nervous at first but I kept my composure although I was cold sweating in the air conditioned room. Firstly, the managing director asked me what the company I work with do, I replied by trying to explained what the product of the company. However, I failed to sell the current company I am with because I wasn't really sold the software solution the company is selling. I realized that making a good impression about the company you are representing is the key for an employment but I couldn't pull it off. So, moving on to the next thing, the MD told me about what they do, what they are planning for, what they need and what they are looking for. It was an insight to a world I have no idea off. Well, at least I'm learning something.

After more than 30 minutes of interrogation, I was handed over to the creative director where he showed me some stuff on his big 32 inches LCD display. He has this 3 LCD display monitor on his desk, it kind of impressed me though because I always want those multiple LCD displays. I managed to answer all his technical questions and that was the end of it. The MD wasn't so happy to know that I had to give out 2-4 week of resigning notice to my current employer. Still, he said he will contact me later on for a decision. I was glad interview meeting was over. Now what I need to do is wait for their call. In the mean time, I'll try my luck with other jobs opening as well.

After going to the experience, I realized that there are a lot things to work on to improve myself. It has been too long I've taken things for granted. Now what I need to do now is to step up to a new level. Best of luck to me!

No comments: