Sunday, October 08, 2006

Keeping Your Dell Laptop's Heat Under Control

My Dell Inspiron 630m is the most precious tool in my life nowadays. Without it, my life would be ruined so I take care of it very carefully. Unfortunately, tools no matter how careful you handle it will sooner or later develop problems of their own. Same goes with my Dell laptop when the battery just gave up even after it had survived the recent Dell battery recall.

Because of that, I am now using my laptop without the battery attached. At first I thought by doing so will solve my problem. However, the heat problem I'm facing hasn't fade away yet. I'm not so sure with my country's climate (hot and humid) plus with the latest haze problem is worsening the temperature of my laptop. Anyway, here's some photos and screenshots:

Ashrufzz Dell Inspiron 630m Heat Spot

Whenever I type something, my palm will be resting on the position as shown above. Sometimes, it gets so hot that I had to cover the heat spot with a cloth or something.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just look at the temperature on my CPU fan detector software. It's burning HOT!!

I had to find solutions to this problem and did some searching online. Wikipedia is a great place to find information. They have a special topic under Dell Inspiron Overheating Problem. After reading the article, I downloaded this piece of software.

Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control utility

The tool is called Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control utility. It can overide the default setting of your dell laptop fan so that you can cool off your CPU manually. Anyway, I don't really want to do that because there are certain risk involved and it is not under warranty if something suddenly malfunctioned. So, far I've manage to track what is the cause of problem which is my CPU is working hard processing on something while it should be idle whenever I'm not using the laptop capability to the maximum.

Here's a few other links which I find good for you to understand and keeping your Dell laptop or any laptop heat under control:

technorati tags:, , , , , ,

No comments: