Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Latest Ride - Mercedes 230E

After my father's passing last December, my family and I were left with a bunch of belongings of my late father. Apart from still trying to cope with our lost, we are still in the process to finish off a number of items related to my late father. This include 2 cars my father left, one is a 2004 Mitsubishi Storm L200 and the other is a 1990 Mercedes 230E (W124). I've been using the Mitsubishi Storm for a couple of months since the car almost got abandoned because it was a challenge for my late father having to maintain 2 cars at the same time.

My trustworthy red Proton Iswara Aeroback 1.3 is currently being used by my wife. I never drove the Mercedes when my father was around. Being the eldest son and the named driver based on the insurance policy of the Mercedes 230E, I was the most eligible person to take care of the car after my father's passing. The car cannot be sold yet because it needs a trust handler's authority to issue an authorization letter before changing changing ownership and being sold off. Because of that, I'll be driving around with the car until all of the other stuff relating to my father's death has been cleared.


Front view of the Mercedes 230E



Rear view of the Mercedes 230E


Some good review about this Mercedes Benz 230E, apart from being huge, it's much more comfortable from the cars I've ever own. Since the car's front hood is so long, I am guessing the Mercedes logo in front of the car is a good indicator about the length of the car's front end, if not you'll be kissing the bumper the car in front of you. The interior is roomy however, I seem to have trouble with the air conditioning being too cold. This car is has automatic transmission so driving short or long distance is a breeze to drive. Other than that, the raw engine power and the driving experience better than the Proton I've been so used to.


Interior view of the Mercedes 230E


The downside of having such a big car is the always, the fuel consumption and more money for both parts and car services. My Proton Iswara only consume around 15 - 17 cent a kilometer of fuel while the Mercedes would be using 20 - 24 cent a kilometer of fuel. That would translate to an extra RM15 - RM25 of fuel in a week since I drive to work almost 500km per week. If fuel consumption is not a problem, I would definitely keep this car for it continental driving experience. It reminded me of the old Volvo 240GL my father handed over to me when I was studying my Diploma in Mechanical (Automotive) Engineering.

I'm not a big fan of old cars anymore, therefore I would settle for a new car once I've finished off my car loan 2 more years to come.

3 comments:

Jayce said...

Mercedes vs Proton? Sure Proton will lose la. :P

andrew said...

Hi,
is this car for sale now?
regards
andrew

Ashrufzz said...

Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry, the car has been sold last month.