Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Repairing My Car Air-Conditioner

The good thing about blogging is, we can search back our blog and see what is the highlight of your day. So, September last year, I bought a car with my father as the guarantor plus I borrowed some of his money for the downpayment. You can read about it using this link. The bad thing that I didn't realized was, buying a second hand car has some disadvantages which will come eventually. So, last month, I was slapped with a few hundred ringgit of repair as the CV joints cover was torn and my rear bearing is squealing.

Celebrating the new year, my car air-conditioner failed after a few weeks of another squeaking noise. Apparently, the compressor had worn out and it nearly jam my car's engine. This time, I had to fork out RM375. Darn, I'm broke right now. Now, I had to borrow some money from my family as my budget is slashed to debt. The lesson here is, if you cannot afford something, then you better find a way to live upon your need.

I waited for more than 2 hours before my car's air-cond was repaired. In the mean time, I took a few snap of the work that had been done.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you don't know how a car air-compressor looks like, so here you go. There are many types of Air-cond compressor, it depends on what type of car you are using. If you are wondering why there is a need for a air dryer, well air-conditioning actually condense any moisture from the air making the air in the area dry. Normally, if the moisture in your room is quite high, you will be sweating like you are in a sauna.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, now my old compressor is going to be replaced by a new. The truth is, the new compressor was actually a used one taken from some 'chop shop' car. I saw it with my own eyes how the 'tauke' took one compressor, cleaned it up and sprayed with an instant paint so that it looked new again. I thought he was going to order a recondition compressor. If the compressor goes broken after this, I will blame the tauke and ask for a new one.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I wish I can trade my car for another model. I hate my car but there's nothing I can do about it for now. The above picture is how the air-cond system is being refill with a R134 gas. The R134 gas is more expensive than the R12, but it is more environmental compared to R12. The R12 can harm the ozon layer.

Well, enough of automotive lesson for the day. If you want to read about How Air Conditioning Work, click on the link. I love to know how stuff work. As a conclusion, becareful when you buy a second hand car.

2 comments:

lymeq said...

don't feel that way la.at least you already have a car.plus you get to know how it feels driving a second hand.hehe.

Nafiri said...

good post.