Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What is Microenterprise?

Let's go back to business shall we? I just read in my local newspaper about a government bank will be providing microfinancing. We all know that electronic gadgets are getting smaller and smaller, big companies are outsourcing their operation to smaller companies, and small is cute. However micro for me sounds to small. So, what is Microenterprises?

According to the newspaper I read; "Microenterprises are those employing fewer than five employees with an annual turnover of RM200,000 to RM250,000." That would mean I'm working for a microenterprise company since in my office, only 4 person is occupying the space. Small is simple, easy to manage and maximizing everything that we've got.

Which one would you prefer? A big corporate environment, a small and medium enterprise or a microenterprise? I preferably would go for microenterprises at this moment (I'm actually part of it though).

2 comments:

Khyrel said...

in malaysian context, microentreprises are as said those with 5 or fewer employees but with sales turnover below RM200,000 per year.

check out www.smeinfo.com.my

my lecturer said working at SME will require us to do multi tasking i.e. u got to be the driver, photocopier, typist, ah soh, etc. despite the real job description but the job satisfaction is there while at big corporation we'll be "treated like donkey" (exactly what he said) and being scolded every monday altho the pay is high.

i think working at SME is better. the span of control is smaller and things can be done more efficiently and the staff are like a family and if you really apply a good management you can make big money as well

Azer Mantessa said...

wow, interesting article :-)