Monday, May 16, 2005

I have never heard of Robocon until recently last month, there was an advertisement on TV. At the same time, at the same place, the national book exhibition was happening. So kill two bird with one stone, I went to PWTC as I used to. There was also another exhibition on Metal Tech but my interest wasn't on those subject anymore.

Moving into the robotic world. The theme of the contest is quite funny. 'Climb The Great Wall, Light The Holy Fire’, I didn't understand at all what does that mean. I'll tell you more after you have seen the snapshot below:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Surprisingly, I guess to attract more people to come to see this lame robotic AI thing. They've invited a few groups of cheerleaders. If I'm not mistaken, St. Xavier from a school in Petaling and can't remember the name from Convent Bukit Nanas. I was at first just like to take a peek there, seeing the cheerleaders shouting and acrobating, I was hooked. Damn those chicks..hehe..

Okay..some brief explanation, from the main stage above, when at least a ball is put on each corner and on each diagonal torch, then it's called climb the great wall, light the holy fire. Anyway, I think this competition wouldn't be so great if it weren't for the cheerleading teams.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is some guy using a wired remote to control the robot collecting the ball. Quite bored if I must say.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now this is the time waited by everyone. The cheerleading group dance performance and acrobatic act.

The winner was eventually was UTM. Personally, I think it's not worth spending a few thousand to build a dumb robot. Still, if you're a technical junkie and love doing mechanical stuff, then this is a good exposure for you. For more info, just go to google and key in the keyword "Robocon" to learn more about this competition.

That's all for now..

No comments: